Go Design Solutions residential drafting services in the Sutherland Shire explain when you need to apply for a DA
Here at Go Design Solutions, we know that Australia is highly regulated when it comes to planning and development legislation. The laws set in place around Development Applications do vary greatly between each State and Local Government Area.
If you’re looking to undertake a residential development you may sometimes find that it isn't always a straight forward process when looking to get a development application (DA) approved, especially when going it alone.
So when do you need a development application? If your proposed development is ‘permitted with consent’ then you will have to lodge a DA application with your council.
- A DA is generally required for the following types of developments.
- For residential building works.
- Alterations and addition to existing dwellings (less than 3 storeys).
- Single new dwellings (less than 3 storeys).
- Dual occupany dwellings.
- Granny flats.
- Garages and carports.
- Ancillary outbuildings.
- Developments that include a block of units, apartments or villas require a ‘multiple dwelling’ to be submitted.
Although it may vary slightly between various councils you can generally:
- Search the planning rules for your property: There is usually an easy-to-use search bar on our local council website. It will tell you whether the development is permitted with consent, permitted without consent or prohibited.
- Speak to a duty planner: They can tell you if a pre-lodgement meeting is needed for your development.
- Get more info at a pre-lodgement meeting: If a meeting is required then the duty planner will look at the basics of your development plan and let you know what documents require for the DA. This meeting is typically free and you’ll get an idea of whether the DA will be approved or not.
Here at Go Design Solutions, our team of residential drafting services in the Sutherland Shire can submit your Development Application on your behalf.
Contact our residential drafting services experts today to find out more.